Forks and spoons are an essential part of every kitchen, and since you use them every day, it's important to have a storage option for them that works well for you. The two main storage options are to put them away in a drawer or to display them in an open container. Whichever method you choose, feel free to customize your storage option so it fits your specific utensil needs.
1. Placing Them in an Open Container
1) Place spoons and forks in flower pots to store them separately. Use flower pots large enough to fit each set of your utensils. Paint the flower pots to give them color, or leave them in their original form. Arrange the spoons in one flower pot and the forks in the other before placing them next to each other.
·Label the pots with “Spoons” and “Forks” for added decoration.
·Paint each flower pot a different color, if desired.
2) Reuse metal cans to up-cycle them into utensil holders. If you have old food cans made of metal, carefully peel the labels off and clean them thoroughly. Place spoons in one can and forks in the other, adding labels to the can if you’d like to make them more decorative.
·Place a folded up paper towel on the bottom of the cans to absorb any moisture.
3) Put forks and spoons in a caddy to make them portable. Purchase a utensil caddy that has a separate container for each type, including spoons and forks. Place the spoons and forks in separate caddy containers and carry your utensil caddy from the dishwasher or sink to the table.
·Many caddies even have a spot for napkins.
4) Store all of your utensils in one large container to save space. If you just have a few forks and spoons, find a cup, pot, or other container suitable to hold them all at once. You can then place this container on your kitchen table, island, or any other spot in the kitchen where it’s easy to get to them.
·Consider decorating the container with paint, ribbon, or glitter to make it stand out.
5) Separate spoons and forks into mason jars for a cute look. If you already have mason jars at home, great! Otherwise, purchase two mason jars that are the same size from a store and label them using paint or permanent markers so they say “Spoons” and “Forks.” Place each type of utensil in its specific jar.
·If you don’t want to label the jars, that's fine!
·Keep the lids off of the jars when they’re in use.
6) Use buckets for storing forks and spoons to hang them. Purchase matching metal, plastic, or wooden buckets that are wide enough to store your utensils in. After you’ve placed spoons in one bucket and forks in another, choose to hang them on a metal rod or put each one on its own separate hook.
·It’s also okay to simply place the buckets on a table together and not hang them at all.
7) Purchase a utensil holder that spins to place on a table. These are great if you’re storing things like knives and napkins too. Place the spinning utensil holder in the middle of your table and put spoons in one compartment and forks in another. This makes it easy for everyone to reach utensils no matter where they’re sitting.
·This works well if you have a round kitchen table.
2. Putting Spoons and Forks in a Drawer
1) Purchase a sectioned utensil organizer to go in a drawer. This is the most common way to store spoons and forks. Look for a utensil organizer at your local big box or home goods store that has a separate compartment for spoons and forks. Place each utensil in its spot to keep them organized and clean in your drawer.
·Utensil organizing trays come in several different materials, like wood, plastic, or metal.
2) Use stackable trays to store utensils on top of one another. If your kitchen drawer is somewhat deep, purchase utensil trays (or even just regular trays!) that can stack on top of one another. Put spoons in one tray and forks in another before stacking them in the drawer.
·This will help you save space in your drawer.
3) Place spoons and forks upright if you have a deep drawer. Put containers like cans, mason jars, or tall cups in your deep drawer. Put spoons in one container and forks in another so that they’re sitting upright. This will help you save space while keeping your utensils separated and organized.
·You could also use plastic storage organizers in a deep drawer to store your spoons and forks.
4) Create your own drawer divider for a customization DIY option. If you want your spoons and forks to be separated in your drawer a specific way, consider making your own dividers. Use things you might have around the house, like tissue boxes, cereal boxes, or plastic food containers, and turn them into a storage organizer for your spoons and forks.
·For example, you might cut the tops off of two tissue boxes and place your utensils in there.
·Feel free to decorate your DIY storage containers however you’d like using construction paper, paint, patterned duct tape, or other supplies.